As a Working Guest you get to know friendly and hospitable Norwegians. You can enjoy some months with a Norwegian host family located somewhere in our beautiful country.
Why become a Working Guest in Norway?
Norway is the home of Vikings and trolls, of high mountains and long fjords, of the midnight sun and of unspoiled nature. Every year about 200 people from all over the world participate in our Working Guest program. Atlantis has run this program for more than 50 years with great succsess. The program started in the late 1960s, and since then more than 13.000 young participants have been welcomed to Norway.
What is a Working Guest?
A Working Guest must be between 18 and 30 years old. For a few months you will be staying and working with a Norwegian family which runs a farm, a hotel, or both. You will get to know the Norwegian people, culture, customs and lifestyle more thouroughly than an ordinary tourist. You will be a member of the host family, and a part of their everyday life. During work hours you are expected to help the family with tasks connected to their farming or hotel business. You will get free board and accommodation, and receive pocket money to cover your expenses on trips, personal equipment etc. You can apply for this program all year round. For applicants from EU countries, you may stay from 2-6 months, whereas for applicants from countries outside the EU, you may stay for 3 months.
Working Guest in agriculture or Working Guest in tourism?
Being a Working Guest in an agriculture program is open to people from all countries where Atlantis has a partner organization to cooperate with. The Working Guest in tourism program is only open to people from EU countries.
- Must be between 18 and 30 years old.
- Must have a high level of English.
- Must be motivated and open-minded to live with a Norwegian family and adapt to their way of living throughout their stay.
- Should have agricultural- or hotel experience.
- Must be prepared to help with various tasks proposed by the employer.
- Will get 1 ½ days off per week.
- Will get pocket money
The host family:
- Is an ordinary Norwegian family, with or without children, which runs a farm or a hotel, either full- or part-time.
- At least one member of the family must speak some English.
- Will offer you free board, lodging, and pocket money every week as agreed in the contract with Atlantis.
- Will need your help with tasks related to their farm production, such as caring for animals, picking berries and fruit, harvesting vegetables and haymaking. Or help with tasks related to their tourism business, such as cleaning, serving, reception work etc.