Frequently asked questions

Who can apply?

  • Trainees must be enrolled as agricultural/horticultural students of a relevant field at their university.
  • A trainee must be attending one of the Agricultural Institutions that Atlantis cooperates with.
  • People with a good knowledge of English (this will be assessed on application).
  • Trainees either participate alone or as a part of a group and may stay from 2-12 months.

Do I need an agricultural background or experience?

  • Yes, trainees must also have prior, relevant agricultural/horticultural experience.
  • Where possible, trainees will be placed on a farm that specializes in their area of expertise.

How much does it cost to participate?

Trainees should contact their individual university for costs.

How will I live?

  • Trainees live with a host family who owns and runs a particular agriculture or horticulture business.
  • The host/company will offer lodging of reasonable standard. In nurseries, trainees will usually share kitchen, living room and bathroom, and are typically offered bedrooms with 2-4 beds in each. On farms, trainees will live in their own building/barrack or part of the house with kitchen, living room and bathroom, or may share with another trainee/worker.
  • The trainees are responsible for keeping the living area clean and tidy, and to do a proper cleaning before leaving.
  • The host/company may ask each trainee to pay NOK 33,- per day for the lodging.
  • Trainees purchase their own food and make their own meals.
  • Trainees will have access to a washing machine for clothes.

What are the work conditions?

  • Trainees are to work regular working hours of approximatly 37,5 hours per week.
  • They are entitled to 1 ½ subsequent days off weekly.
  • Trainees are paid by the hour. Hourly wage is regulated to 94,54 NOK (per 2017)
  • Salary is paid once a month, but may be paid in arrears (which means the first payment may come at the end of the first month, or during the second month of the stay).
  • Trainees will also get holiday pay: Shortly before departure, trainees will be paid an additional 10.2 % of total income earned during the period. In Norway, this sum is known as “holiday money”.

Are there specific start dates?

  • No, trainees can apply all year round.
  • There will, however, be high seasons for various specialities within agriculture:
    • Most agriculture placements start in spring, i.e. March to May.
    • Horticulture placements are available all year round, but more placements start in spring and summer, i.e. March through July.
  • You will typically need to apply at least two months before your wanted arrival. If you need to apply for a work permit, you should

How do I apply for a Work Permit?

Please see your university advisor for assistance in applying for a work permit. You should apply for a trainee (vocational training)/‘praktikant’ permit.

Check also for further information and rules.

Can I get in touch with other trainees?

  • Yes of course! Atlantis runs social events where all international people on various placements in Norway can meet. We usually have a weekend city trip in October and a weekend cabin trip in March/April. In addition we usually have some smaller gatherings in summer and in December.
  • For more information on these, and to speak to current and previous trainees please see our Facebook page.
  • You can also get a participant list with all Atlantis trainees staying in Norway.

What if problems arise?

  • To solve a problem, whether it is personal or arises from a conflict with someone, it is important that you discuss it with your host. Lack of communication often creates more problems. It is important to be open about what you think and how you feel.
  • If you do not manage to solve the problem with your host family directly, we want you to contact Atlantis. Although we have limited possibilities of solving individual problems, which may often come from just a ”personality clash”, we do our best to help out. We can help you to clear up misunderstandings, set up an agreement, find compromises and an acceptable solution. But to be able to help you, we need to be informed of what your problem is. Moving to a new host family may be a solution in some cases.
  • A trainee may interrupt his/her stay if the host family breaks the written agreement or shows very little ability to give adequate training. The host family may ask the trainee to leave their farm and return home if he/she proves to have very little ability to adjust to their way of life, shows a severe lack of responsibility towards the tasks on the farm, if he/she commits a criminal act or has given incorrect information about him/herself in the application process.
  • If you have not been in Norway before, you should be aware that it is a special country, long, narrow and sparsely populated. Most of the farms are situated in the countryside, often several km to the nearest village/town. The public transportation is often very limited and it can be a long way to the nearest shop, bank or pub etc.
  • It is important that you have thought about how to handle problems and home-sickness before you apply. If difficulties should arise you will be stronger, and see that problems can even become a challenge. In cases where problems become so extensive that neither you nor the host family are able to cope with it and a break-up becomes inevitable, both parties are entitled to four weeks notice (beginning the first of the next month). Shorter notice is only acceptable during the trial period. Any break-up is to be discussed with Atlantis beforehand.

Contact Numbers

Office hours are 9.00-15.00 and the office number is (+47) 22477170. Direct line to program advisor is (+47) 94790539.

Will I get the opportunity to learn Norwegian?

If you want to learn Norwegian, you must expect to pay for it yourself. Atlantis organizes Norwegian courses in Oslo. You can also ask your host if there are any courses in the local area.

Who should cover my travel expenses?

Trainees must be prepared to pay their own travel expenses to and from your home country to the host/company where you have been placed. If you have applied for a work permit before going to Norway, you should not buy your ticket before the work permit is granted.

Where can I find more information about insurance?

Holding your work permit to Norway, or working here as an EU/EEA citizen, you become a member of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme. This means that if you get ill during your stay, you will only have to pay a small fee for medical treatment at the hospital or the doctor (public health care). NB: The Norwegian National Insurance Scheme does not cover dental treatment or medical transportation.

 Where can I find more information about Norway?

  • Lonely Planet has a guide to Norway.
  • Visit Norway: Official tourist information (many languages).
  • Home page to public sector in Norway (Norwegian/English).
  • Helsenorge: Official information about health services in Norway.
  • NSB: the Norwegian Railway (Norwegian/English).
  • Hanen: information about rural tourism and Norwegian food.