Atlantis Utveksling offers Norwegian courses on A1 and A2 (beginners and elementary) levels for au pairs in Norway. Our classes are of maximum 14 students, au pairs only, and is a great arena to make new friends while you're in Norway.
Learning Norwegian is key to enter the Norwegian society. When participating in the au pair program, you are entitled to attend Norwegian classes, and your host family is obliged to cover the course expenses.
«Great learning, great teacher, great mates…» – Sheena, participant beginner’s course
Atlantis Norwegian Course Levels
We offer four different Norwegian courses for au pairs in Oslo. All courses are for basic users.
- A1 – Part 1 (Beginner)
The course is suitable for students who have little or no knowledge of the Norwegian language. We read chapter 1-4 in the textbook «På vei». The course ends with an internal test.
- A1 – Part 2 (Beginner continuation)
The course is suitable for students who have completed the beginner’s course (A1- Part 1), or with some knowledge of Norwegian or other Scandinavian languages. We read chapters 5-8 in the textbook «På vei». The course ends with a diagnostic test on A1 level.
- A2 – Part 1 (Elementary)
The course is suitable for students having completed both A1 courses, and who begin to learn basic Norwegian. We read chapter 9-12 in the textbook «På vei». The course ends with a diagnostic test on A2 level.
- A2 – Part 2 (Elementary continuation)
The course is sutiable for students having completed the elementary course (A2- Part 1), or with much experience from speaking and writing Norwegian. We read chapters 13-16 in the textbook «På Vei». The course ends with a diagnostic test on A2 level.
Duration and time
- Classes are taught once a week for 9 weeks, except from the schools holidays.
- Each class lasts 3 hours ( 4 school hours) including short breaks, and the total of each course is 27 hours (36 school hours)
- Most classes are taught in the evening, starting 18.30 and ending 21.30.
- All classes are taught in Skippergata 9, centrally located in Oslo.
What do you learn from the Norwegian courses?
After completing A1 – Part 1 and Part 2 you will be able to:
- Understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type.
- Introduce yourself and others and ask and answer questions about personal details such as where you live, people you know and things you have.
- Interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.
After completing A2 – Part 1 and Part 2 you will be able to:
- Understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment).
- Communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters.
- Describe in simple terms aspects of your background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.
Textbooks and study materials
Atlantis’ Norwegian courses use the 2012 version of «På vei» workbook and textbook (with blue cover). In addition we use the student’s CD. The host family is responsible to buy all material used on the course. Books and CD can be ordered at Cappelens web page.
At the end of each course you will go through with a test on the course level you have attended. These tests prepare you for the formal A1 and A2 tests, arranged by Kompetanse Norge. After finishing A 1 -Part 2 you will have enough knowledge to take a formal A1 level test. After finishing A2 – Part 2, you qualify to take a formal A2 level test.
After each course you will receive a certificate and an evaluation of your test results.
- 3600 NOK Atlantis’ host families
- 3900 NOK for all others
Additional costs for textbook and book of exercise including CD will be ca. 1000 NOK.
Once per year a social gathering is arranged by Atlantis for former students. Our foucus as a foundation and organizer of au pair programs in Norway, is cultural exchange, and we see that our courses function as social arenas for au pairs in Norway, also those who are not Atlantis au pairs.
Register for more information about courses and start dates. Your host family has to register you for the course, please find registration form here.